Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Official Towny Revamp - We need you!

Hey everyone,

I am a new Developer and I have been tasked with revamping Towny. I have solid ideas for what new features to implement but I also need help from you guys, the community. We want to create the best experience for the players and bring a completely unique take on Towny.
As apart of this new project I will keep everyone up to date with new features and even maybe release a few screenshots here and there.

For those wondering: Yes, towns will be kept as I will transfer all of the towns to the new plugin.

Thanks,
- CodeFalcon

Last edited:
1. I like the towny chat, outposts, town spawn and the variety of ranks that can be given. The permissions part is good because it can limit certain actions, but might be confusing to some. Nations are a nice way to gain extra plots. I wish plot sizes can be customized, it's also a pain to do permissions because plots are so small, and claiming although /t claim circle, rect is helpful. I guess making towny permissions easier is the biggest part in my opinion.

2. I'd like to see an easier and more convenient way to tax a specific player and a way to increase plot taxes by percentage (more you own more you're taxed). Also since it'll be called Kingdoms, I thought it'd be nice to have a ranks thing that's strictly based on playtime, and make it customisable (perms) and if there will be something similar to nations, it's cool to show the rank too.

3. Some sort of collaboration or cooperation option between towns other than /res friend add etc. Ability to deposit/withdraw from multiple towns' banks, ability to use outposts of multiple towns, set perms, etc. Nation ranks that allow access to same perms as town ranks (Assistant, Senator, Builder) but named differently.

Last edited:
I like the towny chat, outposts, town spawn and the variety of ranks that can be given. The permissions part is good because it can limit certain actions, but might be confusing to some. Nations are a nice way to gain extra plots. I wish plot sizes can be customized, it's also a pain to do permissions because plots are so small, and claiming although /t claim circle, rect is helpful. I guess making towny permissions easier is the biggest part in my opinion.
Hmmm maybe a simple GUI that allows Kingdom owners to change permissions with more ease :)

I suppose being able to section off parts of plots to be owner by different people would be nice.

/t deposit ## should be something more memorable. For money reasons :)

I like the towny chat, outposts, town spawn and the variety of ranks that can be given. The permissions part is good because it can limit certain actions, but might be confusing to some. Nations are a nice way to gain extra plots. I wish plot sizes can be customized, it's also a pain to do permissions because plots are so small, and claiming although /t claim circle, rect is helpful. I guess making towny permissions easier is the biggest part in my opinion.
I think that adding a similar command to //pos1 and //pos2 from worldedit and implementing it into towny claims would be helpful.

Just want to support the idea of customizable plot sizes. Rather than one size, if we could have a command to set the four corners to the plots (so, that obviously includes the height of the plot). This way town owners could even build hotels or designate certain areas in their town to high class, middle class and lower class residents.

SirKillian

Administrator
Staff member
I wish plot sizes can be customized, it's also a pain to do permissions because plots are so small, and claiming although /t claim circle, rect is helpful.
Just want to support the idea of customizable plot sizes. Rather than one size, if we could have a command to set the four corners to the plots (so, that obviously includes the height of the plot). This way town owners could even build hotels or designate certain areas in their town to high class, middle class and lower class residents.
I think that adding a similar command to //pos1 and //pos2 from worldedit and implementing it into towny claims would be helpful.
We will not do custom sized plots, these will always be a chunk because this is the easiest way to keep things consistent.
We will deffo look into some tool that perhaps makes it easier to claim multiple chunks at once.

Amanda

Staff member
I'd love to see some type of review system being added to towny. Something that allows players to review towns or rate them from 1-5. I'd also like to see plot permissions become less complicated. Even as a helper, I still struggle with it sometimes. I also support the idea of public outposts! It would be cool if the mayor could toggle the outpost public/private.

Edit: Another thing that I would love to see added, if possible, would be an easier way for players to retrieve their items from towns that they leave. Rather than having to ask the mayor to let them get their items, we should have a command that allows them to retrieve them! Maybe something similar to /clearprotections?

Last edited:

Hell

Known Member
One thing I don't like about the towny plugin is that it limits the amount of bonus chunks I can buy. I think a good solution to that might be to have the price per claim grow after certain amount of chunks have been purchased

Finn

Known Member
I would like to see massive amounts of plots, public outposts I will add more if I think of them.

I don't know about other people but sometimes I get confused and do /t leave instead of /t unclaim because I get confused sometimes. Maybe adding like a confirm message for leaving towns so some people don't do it on accident? Also when doing /N all the players are kinda just mixed around in the list, I'd suggest adding a category of players for each town so its easier to view. But for the rest of the towny plugin I really like most of the features. Goodluck CodeFalcon!

Things I like about Towny including notes:

The stuff that feels okay
  1. Town Chat / Nation Chat - It gives you a way to communicate with your town / other towns in a more conservative way.
  2. Outposts - Outposts definitely needs to stay in one way or another as it's just such a good way to get areas to build
  3. The ease of claiming [can be better don't get me wrong] - claiming is just so easy since it's full chunks and it's straight forward and easy to understand with a good visual using F3+G
  4. Nations - I think nations is a good way to feel as if you're part of something bigger - but maybe make it more impactful/have it do something more than just give bonus towny claims etc.
  5. Town bank - I feel like town bank is a good feature and should for sure stay, but maybe add bonuses/goals that your town can reach and unlock with having a good economy so it feels better and encourages new players to actually keep money there for upkeep costs.
The stuff that feels strange
(stuff that can be improved for sure)

1. Setting up plots that people can build on - I feel like setting up plots for people just feels kinda weird and doesn't allow enough ease of expansion or customizability (just make it easier to make larger plots I guess)
  2. Outpost names - allow us to make outposts that has names (ties into the next point)
  3. Outpost warps - allow us to make either warp signs for outposts in the (city)spawn chunk (for example let us place a sign that has an outpost and the name of the towns outpost) that teleports the player(s) to the specified outpost
  4. Confirmation on major things - if I go to /t buy bonus and want to buy 10 plots sure but if I mistype and type 100 I'm done, confirmation on some of the major things or on stuff that has a price over a set cost / possible negative effect such as leaving the town would also be nice
  5. Being limited in how much you can claim is understandable but maybe don't limit it by players in a town - it punishes low player towns and feels out of place - maybe make it so it ties into the ranking system so it checks ranks of players in the town to see generally how far you have advanced - this would also encourage ranking up on top of the bonuses of simply ranking up (however I could see this getting confusing for new players as well)

Last edited:
Maybe being able to turn off pvp completely. I know people won’t like this but I searched a new home yesterday and almost died since I forgot it was pvp. So maybe a command like /pvp that turns it on/off

I'd love to see some type of review system being added to towny. Something that allows players to review towns or rate them from 1-5. I'd also like to see plot permissions become less complicated. Even as a helper, I still struggle with it sometimes. I also support the idea of public outposts! It would be cool if the mayor could toggle the outpost public/private.
2019-07-24_00.26.30.png
Hmmm that would be interesting...

I would like to question if these insights of mine are in any way possible to introduce or change with the revamp:

1. Is it possible to allow a second layer of cmd for ./t set perm friends (build/destroy, etc) that gives them complete permissions to build or destroy, without having to use ./t set perm outsider?,

2. Outposts aren't used much by players as it might not be as inviting as having your own town due to how underwhelming its benefits or purpose is, only allowing mayors to set claim on another location cut from the town. Is it possible to further integrate more ideas or benefits for outpost claims to make them viable in some way or rewarding if made?,

3. As a Staff member, I've always been solving reports regarding not being able to accept a town invite or join a town, and partly maybe due to a bug or glitch. Is it possible to rework this feature or double-check the code?,

4. Plots: As a creative server player in the past, there was a feature in one of the servers I played on that allowed you to pick and claim the size of the plot you wish to take, indicated by a yellow outline expanding/contracting upon picking if you wish to claim a chunk or 2 or 3 etc. is it possible to add a feature that allows players to manually claim a large plot in one go instead of having to go over the plot/chunk 1 by 1 and manually spamming ./plot claim?

5. Nations should be more rewarding in a sense of camaraderie and formation of allies. For me the bonus claim seems, well, underwhelming. Ideally, what if Nations gave power boosts or a given perk to all within the Nation (which will be expanded on 5.1 onwards) so that joining a Nation as a mayor seems viable?

5.1 Nation perks: From beacon effects to custom weapon enchants each nation can pick and choose, would seem fun,

5.2 Nation PvP: Nation wars would be exciting, as the more participate, the more power or bonuses could be received,

5.3 Nation War: If nations held wars, a reward system should be placed.

At places with public sheep spawners (t spawn 1 for example) the players can kill the sheep, but the town owner had to make it so players could break blocks to do so. It would be cool if the new towny plug in had a special plot type that let outsiders kill mobs only for farms and such. I suppose this falls under being able to customize a plot type. Maybe as you said it could be done by having a custom GUI that has various options for a player to toggle block breaking/placing, mob killing, containers accessing, etc

Maybe make town claim ranges a bit smaller. My town is near another town and I cannot claim all around my town because it's too close to theirs. I need to wait 26 days for the nearby town to fall and it's quite annoying. The players in the town have been inactive for over a month so I suggest making the town chunk claim range to about 4 or so.

Collector_

I think new players are often confused by commands over all. Something I thought would be interesting would be to have a "Kingdom Staff": a stick that opens a GUI for different things, like to start off you select "Resident" or "Owner/Co-Owner", then each leads into it's own GUIs for different "commands" which would automatically be executed when selected. Like maybe Owner (Red wool vs yellow for resident)->Claim (Green for claiming/starting a new town, yellow for claiming an outpost, and blue for regular claiming. Each wool has a description the action it performs including price)->Chunk Radius 0 (different wool colors for different radii), or Resident->Find a Town (lists available towns)->Town warp->Find available plots->Claim plot. You would start out with this staff, and you could get more (for free) from an npc at spawn if you lose it.

Another thing I thought of is instead of having to do f3+g to show chunks, maybe you could select an option in the Staff GUI to show chunk borders (only those who have it selected can see it) as well as different colored plots, like maybe invis armor stands holding colored glass or something to show borders. Grey glass could mean wilderness, green claimed, yellow available to be claimed by a resident, and red owned.

Also I do think outpost should be (at least able to be toggled to be) accessible by outsiders.

I request better controls over public farm plots to curb grief, and make them easier to monetize.
  1. Ability to administer Farm Plots given to plot owner, not just town mayor.
  2. The following blocks in a Farm Plot should be protected from harvesting if a ground block (dirt, sand, farmland, etc..) is directly below it: Cactus, Sugar Cane, pumpkin stem, melon stem.
    • Plot owners and mayors wishing to destroy these blocks can disable Farm status to do so, or just mine the dirt out from under it, and let it break naturally.
  3. Ability to set a Farm Plot harvest limit, capping amount of farm grief which can be done by a single player.
    • harvest count is kept per player, per town, and only tracks crops which grow directly on farmland in Farm Plots (wheat, carrots, potatoes, beets). count increments when a crop is harvested, and decrements when a crop is planted.
    • limit is configured per plot, so you can tailor limit to the overall size of the farm.
    • users who are over-limit will be unable to harvest more crops until they have re-planted and lowered their harvest count.
    • harvest count records become invalid 4 hours after last update.
    • Mayors can flush limit counts, expiring all the count records for his/her town immediately
  4. Ability to set a town Farm usage fee
    • Fee should appear in chat with the plot description when a user enters a Farm Plot in a town with a non-zero fee that user has not paid yet.
    • Fee is configured per-town. Only works applies to town-owned Farm Plots.
    • Fee is paid by outsiders upon first breaking of a crop block in a particular town, and deposits in town bank
    • Inability to pay fee means inability to break crops.
    • payment records grant access to all Farm Plots in their associated town, and become invalid 24 hours after creation, after which point fee will need to be paid again.

Also, on a semi-related note: can you please add Mob Grinder Plot types? Right now you sort of have to give ppl "destroy" permission in order to let them kill spawned farm animals, which means that they can break blocks in the grinder, including the mob spawners. Savvy Grinder owners work around this to a certain extent by placing signs and locking the signs, but it would be a lot nicer to just be able to let ppl kill cows without also letting them dig holes.

Thanks for listening!
-Dala

I would like to see events where people can win prizes and where people participate and have fun together. These events will happen on certain days and certain times.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find a good description of our town rank permission nodes. We need a good guide and maybe more options. I've never liked the recruiter role being able to set a plot for sale. It seems to me like recruiter is a beginner town rank to help the town grow, but having plot fs effectively allows grief and theft (although I do recognize LWC is better than Locket in this regard).

I think the plot permissions aren't too difficult to understand. The guide I use is "How Towny Works" (Palmer Games). And of course the chat line is a good resource with just plain old /towny.

I too have also wished I could build apartment blocks with actual apartments for rent. But Towny is plot based. And yes, I do like Towny. Is it possible to overlay Residences (Residence Reloaded I guess?) on top of Towny? Towny knows if you are standing in the town or outside the town. Could it be possible that the Residences commands are ignored if in the wild or another town, and active only inside your own town? I understand if that is a stretch, but I had to ask.

This might be too much freedom and would probably increase the stored data, but having more control over sub-chunks would be cool for like a apartment style builds