Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Official Towny Revamp - We need you!

Shorten the radius between 2 towns, if its possible? its understandable to have a distance between the two, because its weird to have two opposing towns next to each other, but for example it could be across a big lake and i wouldn't be able to claim my side of the lake. just a suggestion, not a demand (obviously xd)

Minstrol

Known Member
Shorten the radius between 2 towns, if its possible? its understandable to have a distance between the two, because its weird to have two opposing towns next to each other, but for example it could be across a big lake and i wouldn't be able to claim my side of the lake. just a suggestion, not a demand (obviously xd)
This.

These ideas may sound strange but, as part of Zaire the largest town on the server, things work differently.
First would be a sort of classification system for Citizens, A way to sort people without giving them a town staff rank, Perhaps even a sort of "criminal" rank for townspeople that limits them similar to towny prison but customizable so people cant be trapped and the system abused. In addition to that perhaps a town police staff rank, or something similar. The current townyban system is amazing, well the pages only go to 14 and anything past that shows as page 15 out of 14 for townybans but only town mayors have access to that command, If there was a police rank they would ideally have the ability to do that as well as change a citizens town rank to "criminal" in order to enforce town rules.

Another idea would be government types, Obviously names would have to be worked with in order to prevent politics in chat but the idea would be to manually set what type of government the town is both for roleplay reasons and as a way to auto set a certain range of things.
For example a "dictatorship" town type would not be able to have co-mayors and the town mayor instantly owns all plots.
A "collectivist" town type would have all plots set to 'public' automatically
A "kingdom" town type would be similar to a dictatorship but with the ability to have co-mayors and maybe instead of senators "noblemen"
A voting system might be difficult but perhaps there could be a type where the "mayor/president" is elected and as long as there are 5-10 people in the town online they could hold a vote. That would allow for "republic" type towns.
This or something based on this would spice up towns not only in how they are run but it would make it easier for people who dont want to type in 500 commands in order to individually set every plot in their town to make it right. Just an idea, and my examples are just concepts the idea could be defined and is more for a complete rework of towny rather than just changing it to add things like outpost teleports. (which are a good idea I like public outpost teleports).
Anyway thanks for attending my Ted talk.

Wyrewynd

Helper
Staff member
Things I like about Towny including notes:

1. Being limited in how much you can claim is understandable but maybe don't limit it by players in a town - it punishes low player towns and feels out of place - maybe make it so it ties into the ranking system so it checks ranks of players in the town to see generally how far you have advanced - this would also encourage ranking up on top of the bonuses of simply ranking up (however I could see this getting confusing for new players as well)
I like this idea- it would encourage people to rank up. Maybe link bought ranks into plots as well?

I hate the towny plot system... I wish you could use like the world edit wand to select an area to put up forsale.

Desu

Sorry I'm late, I was taking a break from minecraft bc of band camp ;-;
#bandkidsrule

One major thing that i've been wanting to install is some sort of adventure or npc fighting area like the Halloween Event. Something like Destiny 2's raids. (a series of npc encounters and puzzles to get a prize at the end)

1 thing that could do some good is a more complete gui bc the gui we have now does cover a lot of the servers features but leaves out many useful features, etc. the friend perm command that everyone is mentioning.

(sidenote: I am gonna continue to edit this post as more ideas come to me)

Last edited:

SirSalad

I'm not sure if this is entirely possible with towny itself, but I as the user would like to be able to set custom permission categories for other user(s).

Example: I want to create a shared plot between 4 users. I create the group and give them permissions to that plot to do whatever.

Desu

I'm not sure if this is entirely possible with towny itself, but I as the user would like to be able to set custom permission categories for other user(s).

Example: I want to create a shared plot between 4 users. I create the group and give them permissions to that plot to do whatever.
something along the lines of doing /plot fs 0, then whoever buys the plot could do something like /plot add :ign:... that seems doable.

So I've been playing towny servers and have personally created a few towny servers over my years of playing minecraft so I'll try to just list the things that I would like to see in a new plugin even if they may or may not be in towny already.

-Custom player roles to allow dynamic allotment of plots and land for resources and such. Allowing specific flags per plot to allow farming/switching, etc. Imagine rank hierarchy in discord where you can set what each role can or cannot do, to allow mayors more options to each member for each role. (What if these settings were on a web page in a website? Probably would be hard to update the servers .txt file though.)

-This is extremely taxing on the server, and I'm sure extremely hard to code considering you probably need to have a large mySQL database, but I often have issues envisioning my town. Plot areas, positioning, expansion opportunities. It would be really cool to see a feature to have a dynamic 3D map that can show your town and the regions you claim/allies near you. Again, I'm not a programmer but I do understand how difficult it might be, although extremely helpful and fun to use.

-I would love to see implementation of separate warp locations for town amenities. For example, people just make towns for their shop and their town name is just 1. Why not have an option to have a warp for that towns shop, or that towns farm, or that towns storage area. Obviously give options to make public or not, but having this option even if it were locked behind some type of barrier would add a lot of functionality to the different locations of your town, making your town more a piece of the server with resources abound.

-Any implementation of easier setting of plots would be helpful. Possibly something visual in game where we can see what we're claiming, what areas might not be claimed etc. That's more intuitive than some +'s and -'s in a chat log.

-Statistics would be a really cool add-on to think about. Things such as town growth (plots, members, etc.) Or stats on their expansion rate. If we're talking a plugin called Kingdom's it would be cool to see the scope or how big some of these "Kingdoms" are, or are getting.

-Last thing I want to add here. I feel like the idea of nations and such seem kind of dull when there isn't so much incentive to grow or conquer the other nations/towns. I know griefing and such isn't a thing on this server, but possibly some type of competition that would drive any new town to strive for a powerful nation rather than just adding theirs to the already existing huge nations. There isn't a whole lot gained or lost by making allies or enemies, it would be fun if it were more competitive. (Leader boards for jobs or some type of mini games that scale with town membership?)

I know I'm bit of a big dreamer, but to make something to outshine a timeless plugin like towny, bringing something completely new to the table is what will set Azertu apart from the rest. Good luck with coding, and if you need any help with some of the tough coding issues, I know a guy with a lot of Minecraft coding experience ;) (My old partner in creating servers with fully custom plugins)

Desu

So I've been playing towny servers and have personally created a few towny servers over my years of playing minecraft so I'll try to just list the things that I would like to see in a new plugin even if they may or may not be in towny already.

-Custom player roles to allow dynamic allotment of plots and land for resources and such. Allowing specific flags per plot to allow farming/switching, etc. Imagine rank hierarchy in discord where you can set what each role can or cannot do, to allow mayors more options to each member for each role. (What if these settings were on a web page in a website? Probably would be hard to update the servers .txt file though.)

-This is extremely taxing on the server, and I'm sure extremely hard to code considering you probably need to have a large mySQL database, but I often have issues envisioning my town. Plot areas, positioning, expansion opportunities. It would be really cool to see a feature to have a dynamic 3D map that can show your town and the regions you claim/allies near you. Again, I'm not a programmer but I do understand how difficult it might be, although extremely helpful and fun to use.

-I would love to see implementation of separate warp locations for town amenities. For example, people just make towns for their shop and their town name is just 1. Why not have an option to have a warp for that towns shop, or that towns farm, or that towns storage area. Obviously give options to make public or not, but having this option even if it were locked behind some type of barrier would add a lot of functionality to the different locations of your town, making your town more a piece of the server with resources abound.

-Any implementation of easier setting of plots would be helpful. Possibly something visual in game where we can see what we're claiming, what areas might not be claimed etc. That's more intuitive than some +'s and -'s in a chat log.

-Statistics would be a really cool add-on to think about. Things such as town growth (plots, members, etc.) Or stats on their expansion rate. If we're talking a plugin called Kingdom's it would be cool to see the scope or how big some of these "Kingdoms" are, or are getting.

-Last thing I want to add here. I feel like the idea of nations and such seem kind of dull when there isn't so much incentive to grow or conquer the other nations/towns. I know griefing and such isn't a thing on this server, but possibly some type of competition that would drive any new town to strive for a powerful nation rather than just adding theirs to the already existing huge nations. There isn't a whole lot gained or lost by making allies or enemies, it would be fun if it were more competitive. (Leader boards for jobs or some type of mini games that scale with town membership?)

I know I'm bit of a big dreamer, but to make something to outshine a timeless plugin like towny, bringing something completely new to the table is what will set Azertu apart from the rest. Good luck with coding, and if you need any help with some of the tough coding issues, I know a guy with a lot of Minecraft coding experience ;) (My old partner in creating servers with fully custom plugins)
-I personally would love this to happen, adding the "role" to it would be excessive but we do need an easier way to toggle options for plots to specific players... our current method is flawed.

-We have the command /towny map, it shows a large scale of chunks and tells you which chunks are claimed and by who.

-This has been requested by the community for quite some time and is now being accounted for. There has been no confirmation that these will be implemented, but it is a strong possibility.

-Maybe we can add some sort of Gold Block marking the claimed area, but other than that we could just use /towny claim.

-This seems like a good addition and with this movement we could also add a personal statistics viewing menu.

-The server isn't so much of a pvp based server but is mainly economy based, there is pvp on the server but in my eyes I don't see it being the main focus of it.Also we already have a job leadership board found when the command /j top (job name), and I think that SirK should start going to weekly/monthly mini-game like events, to encourage players to be active.

-Thanks for the suggestions :giggle:

-I personally would love this to happen, adding the "role" to it would be excessive but we do need an easier way to toggle options for plots to specific players... our current method is flawed.

-We have the command /towny map, it shows a large scale of chunks and tells you which chunks are claimed and by who.

-This has been requested by the community for quite some time and is now being accounted for. There has been no confirmation that these will be implemented, but it is a strong possibility.

-Maybe we can add some sort of Gold Block marking the claimed area, but other than that we could just use /towny claim.

-This seems like a good addition and with this movement we could also add a personal statistics viewing menu.

-The server isn't so much of a pvp based server but is mainly economy based, there is pvp on the server but in my eyes I don't see it being the main focus of it.Also we already have a job leadership board found when the command /j top (job name), and I think that SirK should start going to weekly/monthly mini-game like events, to encourage players to be active.

-Thanks for the suggestions :giggle:
So I feel like I should maybe clarify some the suggestions.

-The idea behind the role is to easily organize permissions. It could be basically what town has now (Mayor, Co-Mayor, Senator etc.) but with more fleshed out permission flag abilities.

-I know we have the towny map, however it's kind of clunky, hard to use and weird looking. My suggestion is pretty unrealistic but I still think would be cool. The idea was for a 3d map that shows just your town and the plots you own etc. Think like how MCEdit has a top down 3d view of an area with a grid showing placements of things. A seperate place where you can see your town from a new perspective.

-I think the warp idea could be a very good addition for adding ease of access for towns.

-I think some thing like brick showing the region boundaries or even some kind of animation could help have a better idea what you're claiming and where it ends instead of constantly fiddling with chunk boundaries and such. Kind of a non-essential quality of life addition, but would still be useful none the less.

-Town statistics would be fun to watch and encourage people to expand/grow, giving them more late game content ;)

-I feel like this one was the most misunderstood. I know Azertu isn't a PVP based server. My idea was to add a leader board for you town members and the work they do as a group. So that there in incentive as a nation or as a town to compete with others as a group to climb the leader board. The separate leader board for jobs' all-time high's is nice, but I'm thinking more like a monthly competition between towns or nations to earn the most net income per say. Features to add competition without making them PVP based would add more core purpose to having a nation or a town in the first place, thus increasing late game content.

How about custom ranks in-town? Set by the mayor? So instead of just plain old mayor/senator/helper, we could create our own in-town ranks and tie permissions to that?

I mentioned this in another thread, (and I am not sure if this is a towny function) but teleport pads that can be built by builders of a specific rank would be nice. Axis based teleports at builder 50 and free range teleports at builder 75.

Allow/deny the use of chorus fruit teleportation within town boundaries.

Would have a similar command to toggling mobs, fire, pvp exc.

Could also have cmds that allow/deny the use of elytra flight, /top, /sethome & exc.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am a new Developer and I have been tasked with revamping Towny. I have solid ideas for what new features to implement but I also need help from you guys, the community. We want to create the best experience for the players and bring a completely unique take on Towny.
As apart of this new project I will keep everyone up to date with new features and even maybe release a few screenshots here and there.

For those wondering: Yes, towns will be kept as I will transfer all of the towns to the new plugin.

Thanks,
- CodeFalcon
Just a few bugs I don't like: I would like to be able to townyban as needed even if the player is offline. Having height/depth control on civilian plots would be cool.

I believe it is a thing but when I look in /help and ask others I cannot find the proper command, I would like to be able to tax certain plots and leave others untaxed.

More control is what I think I wish I could have. Being able to set things up beforehand and have apartments or town rules into play.

Minstrol

Known Member
Just a few bugs I don't like: I would like to be able to townyban as needed even if the player is offline. Having height/depth control on civilian plots would be cool.

I believe it is a thing but when I look in /help and ask others I cannot find the proper command, I would like to be able to tax certain plots and leave others untaxed.

More control is what I think I wish I could have. Being able to set things up beforehand and have apartments or town rules into play.
I like the idea of greater control over player towns. A feature that was not expanded apon on in the current plugin as much as others would have liked. As suggested by a few others, there are countless variables you could potentially control within a town claim, so they would all need to be carefully considered.

What I would love to see added to the server is something that helps you get your stuff back if you lose your shop. Right now I believe if you run out of time on your shop and it gets rented out again, all your things disappear. As an on and off player, it gets a little bit annoying if your shop is rented out when you come back and you lost some of your items.

I also think being able to town ban and pay offline players would be a good idea

i just want a nice little book to be placed in my inv when i create a town. Because honestly... setting up more monitors just so I can have all commands visible at once is getting to be tedious lol. id rather flip through my little minepocket handy booklet to find all the cmds and their usage. In-game /help on towny cmds is garbo at explaining what each cmd does :)

Hell

Known Member
I'm not sure if this was suggested already but I'd like the ability to buy/sell plots at once. (and im not talking about /t claim rect, bcs thats town claims, I want players to be able to buy/sale in radius)

Thought I'd wait a bit since I'm kinda new and wanted to experience more, so here goes:
1. My favorite part of towny so far is the bank system. Dunno why, but I love the idea of your town people contributing to keeping a town alive. Aside from that, being a part of a nation (from baron rank) is also pretty cool.
2. Probably my least favorite thing about the towny is the lack of knowing about other towns. you kind of have to ask around and see what towns there are (maybe some sort of leaderboard/competition thing for individual kingdoms can fix this?)
3. Feature that should absolutely stay is plot claiming and nation joining.
4. I don't think any features should be removed, instead i think plot claiming should be reworked a bit so that there is more control over sub chunks. Also nations should be built upon instead of providing only a town/kingdom bonus.
5. There should definitely be some sort of war feature that the nation owner can initiate by paying a certain amount from a nation bank. (perhaps a kill count determines the winner?) Also perhaps getting extra pay when working inside a plot would be a cool idea.

Last edited:
Towny already has a war feature, but it might not be what you prefer. It includes griefing enemy plots which I think is not aligned with this server's no-grief policy. Although there is an opt-out feature, what happens when you are not online at the time the war starts? I would think a server owner wouldn't want an absent mayor to come online to find a heavily griefed town from war, and risk them just leaving the server rather than rebuild. Do web search on "How Towny Works" and find Palmer Games. I think it could only work if it were modified for war to include only towns that specifically opt-in during a scheduled time period.

Towny already has a war feature, but it might not be what you prefer. It includes griefing enemy plots which I think is not aligned with this server's no-grief policy. Although there is an opt-out feature, what happens when you are not online at the time the war starts? I would think a server owner wouldn't want an absent mayor to come online to find a heavily griefed town from war, and risk them just leaving the server rather than rebuild. Do web search on "How Towny Works" and find Palmer Games. I think it could only work if it were modified for war to include only towns that specifically opt-in during a scheduled time period.
:O oh thanks had no idea about the "war feature." would still be cool to see it expanded so that it doesn't cause frustration and/or griefing.

Thought I'd wait a bit since I'm kinda new and wanted to experience more, so here goes:
1. My favorite part of towny so far is the bank system. Dunno why, but I love the idea of your town people contributing to keeping a town alive. Aside from that, being a part of a nation (from baron rank) is also pretty cool.
2. Probably my least favorite thing about the towny is the lack of knowing about other towns. you kind of have to ask around and see what towns there are (maybe some sort of leaderboard/competition thing for individual kingdoms can fix this?)
3. Feature that should absolutely stay is plot claiming and nation joining.
4. I don't think any features should be removed, instead i think plot claiming should be reworked a bit so that there is more control over sub chunks. Also nations should be built upon instead of providing only a town/kingdom bonus.
5. There should definitely be some sort of war feature that the nation owner can initiate by paying a certain amount from a nation bank. (perhaps a kill count determines the winner?) Also perhaps getting extra pay when working inside a plot would be a cool idea.
I like the idea of this, and agree with you :)

Desu

Allow/deny the use of chorus fruit teleportation within town boundaries.

Would have a similar command to toggling mobs, fire, pvp exc.

Could also have cmds that allow/deny the use of elytra flight, /top, /sethome & exc.
These changes make sense because ik that some people might have places in their town that they don't want to be open to the public but anyone could get in with the right tools...

Desu

Can we add /withdraw (ammount) to give us a bank note.... Im weird like that and I like to /withdraw about a million at a time to put in a special chest to "save" up for /rankup or something along those lines...